Friday, March 20, 2009

a false engagement...thankfully.

Last night my boyfriend and I took the dogs for a long walk. As we strolled the streets of our city (that we both love) we commented on housing designs - aspects we adored and the parts we didn't like as much. We stopped at each house for sale to puruse a flyer from the box to review the pertinent details for that property. We chatted about prices and amenities, what was reasonable and what we wouldn't want to live without. This is a fun game we often play, where we dream about a future that neither of us knew was possible until a couple months ago. And in truth, this is one of my favorite things to do with him. It's probably the thing I have waited to be able to do with someone my whole life.

As the sun began to set and we turned to walk towards home, he looked at me excited, as though he just remembered something he was looking forward to and said, "I have something for you!"

Now it's important to mention that he is a jeweler, and more importantly, a very talented artist. So, I asked, "Did you make it?" To which, he said yes.

After returning home we climbed in the car to go to the grocery store and he asked me to hold out my hands. Since I love surprises, I also decided to close my eyes while extending my palms, into which he placed a small item. I opened my eyes to see a ring. It was a silver, wide banded ring with detailed markings hammered into the metal. It was simple, and so very 'me'...and I loved it the minute I saw it.

I tried to put it on every finger, but the only one it fit was my wedding finger. This was an accident, he had intended for it to fit my right hand. He said he would size it to fit any finger I wanted and that he was glad he had not inscribed it like he had wanted to before having me make sure it fit. I am yet to find out what will be inscribed.

But then the best thing happened when he explained its significance. You see, the ring is half of the first ring that he ever made. He had made a VERY wide banded male ring for himself when he first made an attempt at jewelry. He had taken that very ring, cut the band in half, and formed mine. The other half still fits him. We decided to wear the ring on the same finger (ON THE RIGHT HAND!!) Then he told me that he had never given a girl a ring of any sort. He had given necklaces, of this I am sure, but never a ring. Giving a ring to a girl was special for him, and it was immensely special to me.

No comments: